Saturday, December 29, 2007

To page 259

So, I still can't decide if the whole Africa thing is a good experience for Adam and Olivia. They have been exposed to things that most children will never get to see. I don't know if this is good or not. I think that it is so sad that Tashi was forced to scar her face. This ritual seems really unreasonable and scary. This could easily cause infections. I also think it is sad that the children have to work because of the taxes. Children as young as 8 years old are working in the fields. When I was 8, I know that I didn't think one bit about working.

I find it very interesting that Celie and Nettie now have a house. I am really surprised that Daisy gave it up, because she sounded so disappointed. Celie and Nettie would have never found out if she didn't say anything. So now Celie has a place to make her pants. This is a good place for her because I think that making pants has really helped her cope with all of her problems. It keeps her mind off of life.

I felt really bad when Shug was talking about liking a guy. I know that Shug only feels comfortable telling Celie these types of things, but it left Celie heartbroken. It seems as though Celie finally found something to look forward to in life, and that whole safety blanket is crushed. At one point she even says, "I pray to die" (page 254).

It is horrible to see such a young child be as sick as Henrietta. She doesn't sound good. What is wrong with her? I forget, but this has sort of brought Celie and Mr. _________ closer. Mr. _________ has changed so much. He know seems to have some respect for Celie and is actually interested in her life. I think that their relationship has really changed. I don't know what will come out of this.

The telegram that Celie received is horrible. All of Celie's dreams would be crushed if Nettie really died. I hope you are right when you think that Nettie really wasn't on the ship.



---Leah

No comments: