Tuesday, December 11, 2007

To page 92

This was a pretty interesting section. It starts out with Shug confessing that she sleeps with Mr. ______. Celie says that she doesn't mind, but deep down inside, I think that she really has a problem with it. I think that she is jealous of Shug because she never had that enjoyment. I find the part very weird where Celie looks at her private parts in the mirror. You usually don't think of this as something that you would do with a so-called friend. I think there is something more to this relationship.

I also found the reuniting of Harpo and Sofia to be quite awkward. Sofia comes back with a new man, and Harpo has also found a girlfriend. Obviously, Squeaky, the new girlfriend, doesn't know of Sofia's strength. The name Squeaky makes me think that she is very little and helpless. She is definitely messing with the wrong person. I really hope that Sofia and Harpo get back together because being apart has shown them how much they miss each other and what a good relationship they had.

I also think that Sofia's sentence is quite ridiculous. I really don't think that it is fair to base her sentence on race. I also think that this prison experience has really changed Sofia. She is forced into being submissive. She knows that she cannot question the authority like she is used to doing. It is almost like Celie and Sofia are switching attitudes. Celie is becoming more vocal while Sofia becomes more quiet.

I predict that Celie and Harpo are going to do something to get Sofia out of jail. I also think that Celie is going to become more vocal and eventually be able to get rid of Mr. _________.

-leah

No comments: