Sunday, December 23, 2007

To page 192

Ok... well nothing is really getting any more interesting but here we go...

At the beginning of this section, Celie seems kind of different. She seems so happy and optimistic as she describes the beauty of spring. It kind of seems like Celie is seeing some brightness for her future. Maybe she this book will have a happy ending after all of this depressing stuff. Anyway, I found it very strange when Celie says, "But then I remember, he not my daddy, just my children daddy." (page 181). This was when it really hit me about Pa. It really wasn't her dad who raped her. It was another guy. I was confused as to how he was related to the family. I thought it had to be very sad for Celie to find out that she no longer has either of her parents. I think that it would be so hard for someone to grasp the concept of no longer having any parents. I think that I would feel so alone and scared because Celie doesn't even have her sister to be with. Just a side note: they mentioned the word lynched a couple of times and it was one of the first words in the whole book that I didn't know the meaning of. I was also confused about what Shug says at the end of page 184. What does she really mean about this? I know that I talked to you about this but the quote on page 186 also really stuck out to me. Unbelief is a terrible thing, but how do we know when we are believing too much? I was really sad that Corrine died. The one thing that I was glad to see was that she ended up understanding Nettie and actually believing her. I can't even imagine losing a spouse. Samuel has to be in so much pain, and no one can really do anything about it. I know someone who this happened to and I know how painful it is to watch a someone suffer through it. They also mention how the white men keep coming back. I want to know why the Olinkas keep catering to them. Why would they keep helping them?


--Leah

No comments: