Tuesday, December 4, 2007

To page 50

I cannot believe that Mr. ______ is allowing Harpo and Sofia to have a house together. He was so opposed to their marriage. Then, when Mr. ______ askes Harpo if he hit Sofia, he was ashamed to say no. I think that Mr. _____ is pressuring Harpo to be just like him. I think that he is talking to Harpo this way because it has happened to him before. His father could have been the same way, and this is the only way he knows how to communicate with Harpo. I was really surprised that Celie actually told Harpo to hit Sofia! Why would she give in like that? She knows how much pain she has gone through, and why would she wish that upon someone else? I am so glad that Sofia is strong enough to hold her ground. She is very opposite from Celie, which might be on purpose. Maybe the author is trying to develop the characters by making them so contrasting. I think that Celie and Sofia are going to end up learning a lot from each other.

I agree that Mr. _____ very sexist. He never has anything good to say about women. Saying that they are like children is not fair. If anything, Celie is way more responsible and mature than him. He needs to keep his mouth shut and I hope that Celie and Sofia gang up on him.

I find it very interesting that Mr. _____ went and got Shug Avery. Now, this is just one more person for Celie to take care of. I also thought it was amusing that Celie referred to her as "Queen Honeybee". Shug must think that she is so great. She obviously thinks this because said how ugly Celie is. She is putting others down to make her feel better about herself. I also found the first line on page 49 interesting. She takes it as Mr. _____ is too "squeamish" to give Shug Avery a bath. I think that Mr. ______ is just too lazy.

Also, it shows a lot about Celie when she is talking to Sofia. She says that she tries to feel nothing at all. I think that Celie has lost all sense of emotion. She doesn't even get emotional talking about how she doesn't know where her children are.

--leah

No comments: