Wednesday, December 26, 2007

to page 210

Well things are really starting to change.
In the beginning of the reading Nettie tells Corrine the truth (page 185). Corrine is dying and Nettie feels that she won't live if she doesn't know the truth because she won't be fighting to live as hard. Nettie proves that Celie is the children's mother and not her by having her remember what Celie looked like. Corrine does believe her after time but still dies. I wonder if now that Corrine is dead that when the family returns home Celie will get her children back? I really think she will.
I found this quote in the book that really made me think and believe that this is true throughout the whole book, "...unbelief is a terrible thing. And so is the hurt we cause others unknowingly." (page 186)
The workers then come to the village again and one even tries to learn their language before "it dies". What I found is so weird, is on page 190 it says the the Olinka people feed the workers. Why would they be nice to people who are destroying their village?
Shug and Celie then go to Pa's house to learn and find out the truth about Celie's real father. I was confused throughout this part. I am guessing that Celie's father could not take care of his children because he could not afford it, so Pa took them and that was that. Pa didn't even care, he was just like, "oh you found out." However, I wasn't really expecting him to show much emotion. He was too busy fussing over his not even 15 year old wife. That is disgusting.
On page 193 Celie talks about not believing in God anymore. I think the last straw for her was the talk with Pa about her real father. She feels that God has done nothing for her and her life is a wreck. Which it kind of is. While Shug is trying to fill her belief back up again she talks about the importance of the color purple on page 197. I was wondering if it had to do with the title of the book. She didn't say much just about enjoying life and noticing everything. Like the color purple in the field. I'm not sure what the significance is, but I thought I'd point it out.
Page 201 and 202 was a complete shocker. Shug announces that she is leaving. However Celie is going with her. On page 202 Celie completely chews out Mr. ____ and tells him how horrible of a person he really is. I was not expecting this at all and I didn't know she had it in her. Good for her though, I wanted that to happen for a long time.
Squeak is going along too, I wonder what their new future will hold for them. Fame and money for Shug and Squeak I am guessing. Maybe a new love and family for Celie?






---BethAnn

No comments: