Friday, December 28, 2007

To page 228

Shug and Celie started drawing a sort of dream house. I was round and pink and had elephants and turtles. I wonder what is the significance of elephants and turtles. Then, Shug starts leaving for her job. I felt bad for Celie because she seemed lonely once again. It surprised me that Shug came back in such bad shape. Celie said that she was overweight and dirty. I didn't think that Shug would let herself get like that. Then, Celie starts to make so many pants. She makes them for Shug and Squeak and Jack. I think that this has become a hobby that keeps her mind off of her dysfunctional life. I also think that it gives Celie a sense of accomplishment. She has finally found something that she is good at. I am glad that Shug says that she is not ashamed of Celie not being educated. If she would have said that she was ashamed of her, I think Celie would have had a major breakdown. I was a little confused as to how Celie got back to see Harpo and Sofia again. But anyway, it had to be really good to see something familiar. Things changed since she left. Mr. ______ apparently worked in the fields. This really surprised me. I was also surprised about the drugs Celie was introducing to them. Was it illegal to grow and sell drugs at that time? I think that drugs are the last thing that they need right now. Then they were talking about a funeral. If was a funeral for Sofia's mom, right? We then find out that Harpo and Sofia's daughter is sick, and that Mr. _______ is pretty much going insane. Harpo has to stay with him sometimes because he is losing it. This has to be hard on Harpo to see his dad go through such a hard time. Maybe if Mr. _______ dies, Harpo and Sofia will have something more in common and could be there for each other and possibly get back together. It seems as though Mr. _______ has brought his failure upon himself. All of the horrible things he has done are now coming back to haunt him. We'll just have to see what happens.

--Leah

No comments: