Monday, December 17, 2007

To page 138

This section also confused me.

We know that Celie misses Nettie so much, and had no idea that she was receiving letters from her. We find out that Mr. _______ was hiding them because Nettie hurt him when he tried to rape her. Then Shug started talking about how Albert used to be. She was in love with him because of his sense of humor and his awesome dancing skills. I wonder what made Albert change? Why isn't he the same fun-loving person that he used to be? No wonder Shug like him. He actually had a personality and feelings. I find it interesting that Shug says, "Who he? I don't know nothing, I think. And glad of it." (page 125). She now sees how Albert has changed, and she is glad that she doesn't have to deal with him everyday. Then, Celie and Shug go to Albert's trunk to get the letters. I have a feeling that Albert is going to find out that the letters are missing, and it is not going to be good. I also found it ironic that Nettie is living with the people whom Celie met in town. It is also ironic that the son and daughter are really Celie's children. Nettie becomes really interested in Africa, and reads all of the books that Corrine and Samuel have. She becomes so interested that she decides to accompany them on the mission trip to Africa. First, they stop in New York, and Nettie gets to see Harlem. I think that Harlem is a sign of hope for Nettie. She sees that black families are driving nice cars and living in houses with desired amenities. She now knows that there is a hopeful future. Well, I think that towards the end of this section, Nettie has reached Africa. I think this because she says that she writes to Celie the whole way and then gets so frustrated with not hearing from Celie that she rips the letters and throws them into the ocean.

I predict that Nettie is going to have a life-changing experience in Africa and then return back to the United States. I then think that Shug is going to play a very important role in getting Celie and Nettie back together. I'm not sure how they will get past Mr. _______, but I think that he is going to be responsible for his own downfall.



****I think that the action is sort of slow. There is no "on the edge of your seat" action, and I think that it is all starting to jumble together. I hope something good happens soon so that everything gets a little more easy to understand.

--Leah

No comments: