Monday, December 3, 2007

"It's like seeing you buried, she said."
"It's worse than that, I think. If i was buried, I wouldn't have to work." (Walker, 18).
I just find this quotes so disturbing and confusing. She talks about how greatful she is to be alive and how she doesn't take risks because she is alive and that's all that matters. However she then says, if I was buried it would be better because at least I wouldn't have to work.
In this section I see Harpo and Celie having a stronger bond. He can only talk to her and seek her help because his father is no help to him at all.
I wonder what is going on with Mr. ____ though. This Shug Avery has had a very deep impact on him. I knew he had a thing for her before, but I wonder how that ended up or what happened. Did they have a love for eachother? Also I am really curious what happened to his wife. Harpo's dreams are making me think that Mr. ____ killed her. I wouldn't be surprised because he already beats Celie horribly. She said in the reading, even more than the kids. So if he doesn't have a problem beating Celie I bet he wouldn't have a problem killing his wife. I just wonder why he did it, well maybe I shouldn't be asking these questions yet because it's not proven that he killed his wife.
I love Mr. ____'s sisters though. Kate is somewhat of a role model to Celie, or at least she tries to be. Puts the kids in line and has them do something for a change and even stands up to her brother. However she left crying after something he said. She turned from so strong into a weak helpless woman. I wonder what was said? This incident makes me think that now Celie will never stand up to him because she knows the outcomes. He can make her cry in more ways than words. However I don't think he could make her cry with words. She seems to be such a tough minded person. I think she is this way because of how she had to grow up and live the life she lives.
Another shocker to me in this reading was that Mr. ____ made Nettie leave! He has been trying to flirt with her and I know he still wants her. Maybe he was just getting so frustrated with getting shut down that he made her leave. I expected her to stay because of his infatuation.


I am going to predict now that Celie and Harpo are going to make some plan to over throw Mr. ____. Together I know they are stronger than him.



PS--
Leah I found that really weird too that Harpo never talked to her and now she's pregnant. However I think that she is a different girl than the one in the church. I think this because the one at the church was always with her father. This other one that's pregnant (Sofia) is living with her sister and her husband. The one at the church seemed to be very protected by her father and I highly doubt she would even be allowed to live away from him, that's how I viewed him.



--bethAnn

No comments: