Wednesday, December 12, 2007

In the beginning of this reading everyone is trying to think of ways to get Sofia out of jail. On page 92 Mr. ___ even says, "us got to do something." This shocked me, I didn't think he cared about anything but Shug and didn't even really like Sofia. I laughed when Harpo was thinking of rediculous ideas like, blowing up the jail. The funny thing was, he was serious.
On page 94 the group decides to send out Squeak to free Sofia because the warden is Squeak's uncle. This shocked me, because I didn't think she would agree to go free someone that knocked two of her teeth out!
On page 98 Squeak comes back and tells the group what happened. I was a little confused on why her "uncle" raped her. It was out of nowhere. Maybe just because she was there? But then he told her he wasn't her uncle or it would be a sin to rape her. They did not get Sofia back. I don't know how or if they will ever get her back.
At the end of the reading, Harpo actually says he loves Squeak which I was not expecting because I was sure he only loved Sofia. Then she tells him to call her by her real name, Mary Agnes. When Celie told her to tell Harpo to call her by her real name, I was pretty confused on the reason. However, I think it is a pretty good idea for him to start calling her by her real name and not some nickname. The reading ends with Mary Agnes singing songs of Shug's and then her own. I wonder what made her start this?



bethAnn

No comments: