Thursday, December 27, 2007

To page 210

I thought that Shug and Celie's conversation about God was very interesting. Because of all of the hardships Celie is going through, she is starting to lose faith in a God. She is thinking that if there really was one, her prayers would be answered. Shug knocks some sense back into Celie and reassures her that there is a god. Then Shug askes Celie what her god looks like. Celie is sort of a shamed to say, but I don't know why. She seems to tell Shug everything else. Then Shug gives a whole explanation about how God is in everything around us and that going to church means sharing the spirit of God. I thought it was a great point when she says, "Everything want to be loved" (page 198). I think that this is one thing that every living thing strives for. I think that Shug has been such a good influence of Celie and has really given her an eye-opening experience.

We finally get a reference to the color purple, but I don't really understand it. I don't know how that is going to tie the whole book together. Then, we hear more about Squeak and Harpo. Why is Squeak's daughter's name Suzie Q., and is that her and Harpo's child? I was really surprised that Shug announced that she and Celie were leaving. I had a feeling that Mr. _________ wouldn't take it very well. I also saw some more character changes. Celie was actually standing up for herself and yelling at Mr. _______. She would have never done that in the past. Also, Mr. _________ sounded a little nervous. He was stuttering and didn' t know what to say. He actually showed a little bit of weakness, which I had never saw before. Their fight ended up becoming very heated. It surprises me that Harpo and Mr. _______ are letting the girls leave. It seems like they could do more about it if they really wanted to. Lastly, Mr. ________ is one of the meanest people I have ever seen. He treats people so badly!


--Leah

No comments: