Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Reading to page 50

Leah, that was weird that Harpo said he loved someone but then got someone else pregnant but you do have to remember that he is a young boy so I doubt he really knows what "love" is. So he might have been exaggerating.

On page 36 what Mr. ___ said really bothered me. He said the wives are like children and should be beat so they know the man has the upper hand. However, Harpo learned that isn't necessarily true because looked what happened to him with he tried to teah Sophia who has the "upper hand". I smiled when I found that she had been fighting back. Good for her! I think they will have a good marriage becaue they will be equals.

So now Shug Avery is in the home. She is very sick and I wonder if she will live. Even Celie said that she looks worse than her mother before she died. Poor Celie always wanted to meet her and when she did, Shug told her she was ugly! How rude! Celie shouldn't help someone who is mean to her like that.

Also Leah did you catch what Mr. ___ said to Harpo when he was introducing Shug? "This should have been your mother". I knew he had a weird attraction to her. However I bet Mr. ____ did something to mess up the relationship because she told him she needs a man and not someone who will say no to their father. So I wonder if Mr. ____ got shut down by his father in some way and didn't stand up to him. I hope we hear more about that later in the story.


Also in this reading... it confirms that Celie's children were from her father so Pa then must be her grandfather.



--bethAnn

No comments: